Resident Evil: Afterlife’—the latest flick in the series has scored the number one position at the box-office, and a franchise-best with a 27.7 million dollar debut.
The film is not only the series” best-opening movie, but it”s the first one to be shot in 3D.
And the three-week old ‘Takers’ with 6.1 million dollar weekend gross held on the best, moving up to second place, reports E! Online.
George Clooney”s ‘The American’ fell to the third position with 5.9 million dollars.
Wrapping up the top five were Robert Rodriguez”s ‘Machete’ and ‘Going the Distance’ with 4.2 million and 3.8 million dollars respectively.
Here”s a complete look at the weekend”s top-grossing films, per Friday-Sunday estimates compiled by Exhibitor Relations:
1. Resident Evil: Afterlife, 27.7 million dollars
2. Takers, 6.1 million dollars
3. The American, 5.9 million dollars
4. Machete, 4.2 million dollars
5. Going the Distance, 3.8 million dollars
6. The Other Guys, 3.6 million dollars
7. The Last Exorcism, 3.5 million dollars
8. The Expendables, 3.3 million dollars
9. Inception, 3 million dollars
10. Eat Pray Love, 2.9 million dollars