We take a look at this week’s TV news, channel by channel!
Fans of Santo, Sam and Ed’s World Cup Fever! (aired on SBS during the 2010 FIFA World Cup) will be excited to hear that the three are getting a new, comedic sports-review show. Santo, Sam and Ed’s Sports Fever! will be an hour-long show wherein hosts Santo Cilauro, Sam Pang and Ed Kavalee will discuss worldwide sports events and news, including live and pre-filmed sketches and interviews, in front of a studio audience.
To air Mondays, date yet to be revealed, 10.30pm AEDST
We’re 99 per cent sure that you’ve seen one of the 5 trillion Excess Baggage promos on Nine recently, but, for the other 1 per cent, the show is kind of like The Biggest Loser, but without scales (a fact that Nine keeps beating us over the head with). It even has Ajay Rochester in it! She’s one of the “celebrity” contestants (other fattie celebs trying to lose weight include Britney’s ex-husband K-Fed, singer Christine Anu, past Australian Idol winner Kate DeAraugo and ex-AFL player Robert “Dipper” DiPierdomenico.
Airs Monday, 30 January, 7pm AEDST (and probably every single night of your life thereafter)
Foxtel is launching its new channel, FX, (channel 123) on Sunday, 26 February.
Shows airing on FX include The Walking Dead (premieres Sunday, 26 February, 8.30pm, and thereafter airs Tuesdays, 8.30pm AEDST); Hell on Wheels (premieres Sunday, 26 February, 10pm, and thereafter airs Mondays, 9.30pm AEDST); Call Me Fitz (premieres Wednesday, 29 February, 9.30pm AEDST); and Justified (premieres Monday, 27 February, 8.30pm AEDST).
Crime & Investigation Network
Kings Cross ER: St Vincent’s Hospital is a 10-part documentary following the doctors and nurses working at St Vincent’s Hospital in Kings Cross. Here, the doctors face gunshot wounds, stabbing injuries, alcohol-induced physical traumas, drug overdoses and car accident victims daily, in what is one of the hectic ER wards in Australia.
Premieres Thursday, 2 February, 7.30pm AEDST
ABC News 24
ABC NewsRadio’s John Barron is teaming up with The Chaser‘s Chas Licciardello to present Planet America, a weekly analysis of the race for the 2012 US Presidential Election. Satirical humour will be inevitable.
Airs February; unknown date and time
A one-hour documentary called Geoff Huegill: Be Your Best — Hunt for Gold will tell the story of swimmer Geoff Huegill’s sports comeback, and his pursuit of a gold medal at the 2012 London Olympic Games. Remember how fat he used to be? He never had to go on Excess Baggage to get rid of it!
Airs Wednesday, 15 February, 7.30pm AEDST
Who doesn’t love arranged marriages and nosy mothers? Hosted by Ada Nicodemou, Please Marry My Boy will be a Bachelor-style show — several girls battling it out to be the fiancé of one of four guys they’ve never met before — except that it’ll be each guy’s mum who will be making the decision.
No, we can’t believe that this show is going ahead, either.
Unknown air date and time, but probably all too soon
ABC has paired up with Brightcove, a global cloud-content services provider, to improve the quality of video playback on its ABC iView mobile TV service through the use of adaptive bit-rate streaming.