More highlights of budget for 2011-12:
* Expenditure in 2011-12 estimated at Rs.12,57,729 crore, an increase of 13.4 percent.
* Tax receipts in 2010-11 at Rs.9,32,440 crore, an increase of 24.9 percent; non-tax receipts at Rs.1,25,435 crore
* Tax exemption limit raised from 160,000 to 180,000; for senior citizens qualifying age reduced from 65 to 60 years.
* Rs.1.64 lakh crore for defence; more will be given if required.
* Twenty-four percent increase in educational outlay; Rs.21,000 crore for Sarva Siksha Abhiyan.
* Rs.500 crore more for national skill development fund.
* Rs.54 crore each for AMU (Aligarh Muslim University) centres at Murshidabad and Mallapuram.
* Anganwadi workers salary raised from Rs.1,500 to Rs.3,000.
* Age for below poverty line old age pension scheme to be reduced from 65 to 60 years.
* Five-fold strategy against black money; 13 new double taxation avoidance agreements; foreign tax division of CTBT strengthened; strength of Enforcement Directorate increased three-fold.
* Close to finalising food security bill.
* Rs.58,000 crore for Bharat Nirman; increase of Rs.10,000 crore.
* Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme wage rates linked to consumer price index; will rise from existing Rs.100 per day.
* Increased outlay on social sector schemes.
* Infrastructure critical for development; 23 percent higher allocation in 2011-12.
* Rs.30,000 crore to be raised through tax-free bonds.
* Food storage capacity to be augmented – 15 more mega food parks to be set up in 2011-12; of 30 sanctioned in previous fiscal, 15 set up.
* Cold storage facilities to be recognised as infrastructure sector.
* Comprehensive policy on further developing PPP (public-private-partnership) model.
* Farmers need access to affordable credit.
* Moving to improve nutritional security.
* Necessary to accelerate production of fodder.
* Number three (third consecutive budget) may be lucky for me.
* Women’s self-help development panel to be set up.
* FIIs can invest $40 billion in corporate bonds.
* Rs.100 crore equity fund for microfinance companies.
* Mortgage risk guarantee fund to be created for economically weaker sections.
* Housing loan limit for priority sector lending raised to Rs.25 lakh.
* Agriculture growth key to development: Green Revolution waiting to happen in eastern region.
* Growth at 8.75 percent to 9.25 percent in 2011-12.
* Bills on insurance, pension funds, banking to be introduced.
* Gap between wholesale and retail prices not acceptable.
* Setting up independent debt management office; public debt management bill to be introduced in parliament.
* Seek Lord Indra’s blessings for good monsoon.
* Introduction of GST will improve compliance; bill in current session; setting up strong IT network for implementation.
* Expenditure has to be oriented towards production of goods and services.
* Government committed to retaining 51 percent stake in public sector enterprises.
* FDI policy being liberalised.
* Current account deficit at 2009-10 levels.
* Corruption a problem we have to fight collectively.
* Development needs to be more inclusive.
* Stronger fiscal consolidation needed.
* Setting tone for newer, vibrant economy.
* Economy has shown remarkable resilience to external and internal shocks.
* Economy back to pre-crisis trajectory.
* Set pace for double digit growth.
* Total food inflation declined to less than 9 percent in January.
* Could have performed better.