Put on your knee-highs and your collarless shirt from Fred Segal! July 19 marks the 17th anniversary of “Clueless.”
Directed by Amy Heckerling, the film describes Beverly Hills lifestyle (“Is this a Noxzema commercial or what?”) through the eyes of Cher (Alicia Silverstone), a, like, totally normal teenage girl.
Cher and her bestie Dionne (Stacey Dash) — “She’s my friend because we both know what it’s like for people to be jealous of us” — then meet Tai, a grungy New York transplant, and decide to take her under their wing, showing her the ropes when it comes to fashion, vocabulary and love. Tai is of course played by the late Brittany Murphy, who died in 2009. The rolling-with-the-homies character went on to become one of the actress’ most beloved roles.
In honor of the film’s 17th birthday, what better memory to relive than when Cher, Dee and Tai first meet? Below are 24 reasons “Clueless,” and this gym scene, are still the best thing ever.
1. Ms. Stoeger.
2. Cher’s gold cell phone case.
3. “I doubt I worked off the calories in a stick of Carefree gum.”
4. She didn’t even hit the ball.
5. Dionne is wearing a bandana and a beeper.
6. Amber’s the real winner here: Her outfit makes her look like some kind of revealing trapeze artist; her hair is inexplicable — a full-on Monet, indeed!
7. “Mrs. Stoeger, my plastic surgeon doesn’t want me doing any activity where balls fly at my nose.”
8. Wonderful burn ahead.
9. “Well there goes your social life.”
10. Mrs. Stoeger rolled her eyes.
11. Oh, god. Brittany Murphy, so adorable!
12. You =
13. “She could be a farmer in those clothes.”
14. “Would you look at that girl? She is so adorably clueless.”
15. Dionne called Tai “toe-up.”
16. Then she said their “stock would plummet.”
17. “Dee, don’t you want to use your popularity for a good cause?”
19. Tai is the sweetest New-York-transplant-90s-puppy-dog, ever.
20. “I could really use some sort of an herbal refreshment.”
21. They don’t get it! Because they’re from Beverly Hills — a land devoid of drugs or innuendo!
22. “Well, we do lunch in 10 minutes.”
23. “No shit. You guys got coke here?”
24. “Yeah. This is America.”
Earlier on Moviefone: