Who doesn’t love Emma Stone? If you don’t, you’re in the wrong place, because we’re here to celebrate the 20 things we love most about the bubbly actress, who goes sultry as a mobster’s girl in “Gangster Squad,” which opens this Friday.
Of course, we’re not alone in thinking this. As her co-star Ryan Gosling admits, “There’s no one like her. As soon as she signed on for [‘Crazy, Stupid Love’], I knew it was going to be good. The whole film depends on my character giving it all up for her. When she came in the room, it all made sense. Show me someone that wouldn’t give it all up for Emma Stone, and I’ll show you a liar.”
EARLIER: 20 Reasons We Love Ryan Gosling
20. She’s not just funny, she’s got killer timing, as demonstrated in this Oscar moment, in which she manages to outdo Ben Stiller.
19. She looks great as a blonde (her natural color) or as a redhead.
17. Her husky voice (the result of colic as a child) makes everything she says seem even funnier (or sexier).
16. She’s one of the few contemporary actresses who can pull off old Hollywood glamour (Exhibit A). Even when not dressed to the nines, she looks good. Gosling’s not the only one with his own Fashion page on Tumblr.
15. She’s humble about being called a style icon. After Vogue put her on the cover of their Best Dressed 2012 issue, she deferred all credit to her stylist. “That was hilarious. I mean, I have a stylist [Petra Flannery], and she’s the voice of reason behind anything I’ve worn on the red carpet over the past few years.”
14. She wasn’t offended when Jim Carrey posted his bizarre (and kind of creepy) video declaration of love for her. “I was so flattered I can’t even tell you,” she told the New Yorker.
13. She likes to go on “nice rants” about people, as she revealed during this New Yorker interview: “Have you ever done that? Just all sat around a table saying nice things about one person? It was the greatest thing. You walk away, and you were just like, That felt so good, to talk about how wonderful someone is.”
12. She actually reads books (and not just the self-help variety), citing Joan Didion and and J.D. Salinger as two of her favorites.
11. She’s humble: “I always thought I was like the goofy, wonky one,” she said in this interview. She admits she was a geeky girl who had braces and sucked her thumb until she was 11.
10. She got into acting to cure her anxiety, something which she and “Zomebieland” co-star Jesse Eisenberg bonded over while making the movie.
9. As one writer put it, “she’s the anti-Lindsay.” She’s yet to be arrested, be photographed flashing her privates or become a fixture on TMZ.
8. She’s a big geek: She planned to go undercover at Comic-Con as a Storm Trooper, but didn’t have the time. No wonder she and “Amazing Spider-Man” co-star (and real life-boyfriend) Andrew Garfield get along. She’s also confessed to being a “huge computer nerd.”
7. She and Garfield rescued a puppy from a high-kill shelter. For Christmas. Commence “awwwws” now.
6. She knows sign language. “I learned it as a little kid and just never forgot it! Its awesome when I can actually use it and speak to other people.”
5. She does her own stunts — or at least she did on the indie “Paper Man,” which called for her to jump into the freezing ocean.
4. She can play guitar. Sort of. “I learned to play the bass for ‘The Rocker.’ They sent over a bass coach the night I got the role, so I had to get into it right away and get calluses as quickly as possible. So I can play all the songs in the movie, but that’s pretty much where the line ends. I bought a Fender Mustang bass, a really nice off-white, ivory bass, when I got home. I have not touched it since. And I need to. It’s in my house, it’s sitting there waiting.”
3. She and Garfield turned a paparazzi moment into a way to raise awareness for her favorite charities, holding up signs for Gilda’s Club, which supports people living with cancer — Gilda Radner is one of her comedy idols — and Worldwide Orphans Foundation. Her mother is a breast cancer survivor and Stone recently starred with her mom in a campaign advocating early detection.
2. She can sing! Here she is in 2004, auditioning on the VH1 series “In Search of The Partridge Family.” She won the role of Laurie Partridge, but the series never made it to air.
1. She’s great at balancing things on her head.
Earlier on Moviefone: