Don’t believe the hype: Ricky Gervais has not been asked to host the Golden Globes Awards for a third time, despite that new interview with Heat Magazine, in which the acid-tongued Brit claimed he’d been asked to “consider a third year” as host of the Golden Globes.
The creator of The Office stirred controversy when he flippantly blasted some of Tinseltown’s most elite during last month’s live broadcast. There were even whispers that Gervais had been publicly banned from the show.
On his blog Tuesday, Gervais shows a spread from the interview, in which he says: “The ratings went up again, and the organisers asked me to consider a third year. I don’t think I should. I don’t know what I could do better. I certainly couldn’t get more press for them, that’s for sure. You know me. Two seasons is enough.”
Phil Berk — President of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association — however, tells a different story.
“There is no truth to this rumor,” Berk said in a statement on Tuesday. “We have not asked him to come back. Nice try, Ricky.”
Guess that settles that, but it sounds like someone’s got some ‘splainin’ to do.