Ricki Lake, her two sons, and a dog were uninjured in a fire that did extensive damage to a home she rented on the Malibu beachfront, officials said.
The fire started Saturday when a couch caught fire as Lake refueled a portable heater, deputies with the Malibu/Lost Hills Sheriff’s Station told KTLA-TV.
Flames 30 feet high jumped from the attic and roof and Pacific Coast Highway was temporarily closed as firefighters worked to extinguish the fire just west of Topanga Beach. Firefighters used power tools to cut open gates leading to nearby homes to keep them from burning and the fire was extinguished in about 20 minutes, the report said.
The former Charm School headmistress expressed her gratitude via her Twitter account.
“Thank you everyone for your concern and well wishes,” she Tweeted on Saturday afternoon. “My sons, beloved dog, and I are safe and very grateful. xoxor [sic].”
Lake gained fame for her role in John Waters’ 1988 movie musical Hairspray — but is best known for her long run as host of a trash daytime talk show that ruled the airwaves in the ’90s. Ricki also produced 2008’s childbirth documentary, The Business of Being Born and recently guest-starred on Lifetime’s hit comedy Drop Dead Diva.