LOS ANGELES (AP) – It took a murderous Idris Elba and a pair of dolphin buddies to defeat “Guardians of the Galaxy” at movie theaters.
According to studio estimates Sunday, the Sony thriller “No Good Deed,” which stars Elba as an escaped convict, topped the box office with $ 24.5 million during its opening weekend. Warner Bros” feel-good film “Dolphin Tale 2″ debuted… Continue reading Weekend Box Office: 'No Good Deed' Breaks the 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Winning Streak
Here’s your estimated 3-day box office returns (new releases bolded):
1. No Good Deed – $ 24.5 million ($ 24.5 million total)
2. Dolphin Tale 2 – $ 16.5 million ($ 16.5 million total)
3. Guardians of the Galaxy – $ 8.0 million ($ 305.9 million total)
4. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles – $ 4.8 million ($ 181.0 million total)
5. Let’s Be Cops -
“The Identical” was the only new wide release movie opening this weekend, so, in the absence of competition, why didn’t it do better?
The faith-based film, which follows such recent Christian-marketed hits as “Son of God,” “God’s Not Dead,” and “Heaven Is for Real,” opened on 1,956 screens and featured such brand-name actors as Ray Liotta, Ashley Judd… Continue reading Box Office: What's Behind the Celestial Failure of 'The Identical'?
Here’s your estimated 4-day box office returns (new releases bolded):
1. Guardians of the Galaxy – $ 22.1 million ($ 280.4 million total)
2. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles – $ 15.7 million ($ 166.3 million total)
3. If I Stay – $ 11.6 million ($ 32.1 million total)
4. Let’s Be Cops – $ 10.5 million ($ 59.6 million total)
5. As Above/So Below -
Remember last summer, when movie industry insiders as lofty as Steven Spielberg and George Lucas were predicting that it would take only a couple of megaflops to bring Hollywood’s entire blockbuster-driven business model crashing down? Indeed, there were a number of such flops last summer, and yet there were enough big hits offsetting those failures to wind up… Continue reading Summer Box Office 2014: What Went Wrong?