A glance again at Hollywood’s most profitable musical biopics, whose topics vary from Tupac to Ritchie Valens to Elton John. (All field workplace totals are for home ticket gross sales.)
11. “All Eyez On Me” (2017) $44.9 million Critics weren’t impressed by Benny Boom’s biopic on the life and profession of Tupac Shakur, however followers of the late rapper confirmed up en masse on its opening weekend to assist the movie beat box-office expectations and earn almost $45 million on the field workplace.
10. “Jersey Boys” (2014) $47 million Clint Eastwood is thought for steering grittier movies like “The 15:17 to Paris” and “The Mule,” however he additionally contributed to musical historical past with a 2014 jukebox drama about Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, which earned $47 million domestically and $67 million worldwide.
9. “Amadeus” (1984) $51.9 million Thirty-five years after its launch, the Best Picture Oscar-winning adaptation of Peter Shaffer’s play continues to be charming followers of Mozart … and infuriating classical music students who insist that Antonio Salieri didn’t poison him.
8. “La Bamba” (1987) $54.2 million Ritchie Valens, author of “La Bamba” and Pacoima’s cherished native son, grew to become generally known as a lot for his tragic dying in a airplane crash on the age of 17 as he was for his music. “La Bamba,” starring Lou Diamond Phillips as the long-lasting rock star, goes deep into the household behind the guitar participant, and the way teenage fame pressured Valens to make powerful selections.
7. “Coal Miner’s Daughter” (1980) $67 million In 1976, nation star Loretta Lynn launched a bestselling memoir, and plans had been rapidly set in movement to show it right into a biopic. “Coal Miner’s Daughter” grew to become each a Best Picture Oscar nominee and one of many top-grossing movies of 1980. Sissy Spacek, who was personally picked by Lynn to play her, received the Best Actress Oscar.
6. “Ray” (2004) $75.Three million Speaking of Oscar winners, Jamie Foxx earned his Oscar 15 years in the past for his depiction of Ray Charles on this biopic that additionally starred future Oscar winner Regina King. Charles’ dying 4 months earlier than the movie’s launch raised the biopic’s profile, and Foxx honored Charles’ reminiscence throughout his Oscar acceptance speech.
5. “I Can Only Imagine” (2018) $83 million One of the most important surprises of the 2018 field workplace was this movie about Christian songwriter Bart Millard, who wrote the hit MercyMe music “I Can Only Imagine” in honor of his father. The movie was such a success that administrators Andrew and Joe Erwin launched a brand new Christian movie studio, Kingdom Studios, which has a first-look cope with Lionsgate.
4. “Rocketman” (2019) $96.Four million As govt producer on a biopic fantasy musical about his life, Elton John demanded that “Rocketman” be an R-rated movie as a result of he “didn’t lead a PG-13 life.” Taron Egerton’s efficiency blew away critics, because the movie grew to become a preferred various to large summer season sequels.
3. “Walk The Line” (2005) $119.5 million Joaquin Phoenix earned an…
Gary Marsh to Exit as Disney Branded Television President,
‘The Many Saints of Newark’ Magical and Burdensome, Reviews
‘Shang-Chi’ Adds $21 Million as Box Office Slows Down
‘The Eyes of Tammy Faye,’ ‘The Card Counter’ Revive Indie
‘Trust Me, You Don’t Want This’
Celebrities5 years ago
TV Query: Can ‘Lucifer’s’ Tom Ellis play the piano in real life?
Movies News5 years ago
Aubrey O'Day Reveals Pauly D Has His Penis Pierced: ''We've Been Having Rea…
Celebrities6 years ago
Chantel Jeffries In A Thong Bikini At The Beach In Miami
Celebrities5 years ago
‘Are You the One?’ cast can win using basic logic: Season 4’s perfect matches are …