Connect with us

Movies News

Talent Agents Offer to Share Packaging Fees With Writers

Talent Agents Offer to Share Packaging Fees With Writers

ATA’s newest proposal to WGA comes sooner or later earlier than settlement expires

In a proper proposal to the Writers Guild of America on Thursday, the Association of Talent Agents provided to share a portion of earnings from package deal offers with writers. The supply comes sooner or later earlier than the present settlement between the 2 teams is about to run out.

ATA’s proposal would supply an unspecified share of packaging charges on a given movie or tv challenge with that challenge’s writers, 80% of which might be shared with writers who aren’t already collaborating in earnings. Further, ATA’s proposal says this cash will probably be supplied no matter who represents a author, and that the remaining 20% could be invested in efforts to extend range amongst writers.

Packaging — during which brokers accumulate charges for bundling expertise and bringing them as a package deal to a studio or community for movie or TV initiatives — has been the first level of rivalry between WGA and ATA as they attempt to hammer out a brand new settlement. WGA’s place is that packaging creates a battle of curiosity for brokers, and that it has contributed to a decline in general earnings for writers. ATA says that packaging is important to the businesses’ present enterprise mannequin, and that writers who take part in packaging earn extra.

The guild has demanded that expertise businesses finish the follow outright, and on March 31, WGA members overwhelmingly voted to approve a brand new code of conduct that will require any company representing them to do exactly that. The code would go into impact instantly if the present deal expires and not using a new settlement in place; WGA members will then be referred to as upon to fireplace any agent or company that doesn’t conform to comply.

The present settlement was initially set to run out at midnight on April 6. The two teams agreed to a last-minute extension hours earlier than that deadline elapsed. That extension expires on Friday.

WGA representatives didn’t instantly reply to a request for remark from TheWrap.

The ATA defined its supply in a letter to members Thursday night time. Read the entire letter beneath:

Dear ATA Members,

As you understand, we’ve been working diligently to succeed in a take care of the WGA. Thanks to all of you who attended our membership assembly this week – we deeply recognize your enter, steering and overwhelming assist as we work via these negotiations as a unified entrance. As we mentioned, the WGA’s Code of Conduct is a risk to company enterprise operations – whether or not two brokers or 2,000.

The previous a number of days have been a fast crescendo to this pivotal second in our negotiations. We have now offered the WGA with complete counterproposals that tackle their points. We’ve listened and heard significant suggestions this week from WGA management, and in our personal company conferences and townhalls with author shoppers in the course of the previous few months. Those conferences helped us additional perceive and mirror upon the elemental problems with concern, together with requires higher transparency, deeper understanding of company operations, elevated assist for lower- and mid-level writers, and finally higher alignment in agent/author compensation. Our objective all through the discussions thus far has been to keep away from a destabilizing business fallout.

Outlined beneath is a abstract of our draft counterproposals:

• Partnering With The Guild: Agents are, and all the time have been, on the facet of the author and are dedicated to defending writers towards free rewrites and late funds. The WGA has requested entry to consumer contracts and invoices to allow them to intervene instantly with studios/employers to rectify conditions on behalf of writers. While WGA already has authority to gather that data from its Guild members and studios…

Sourced from

Continue Reading
Advertisement Sponsored
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *