Aubrey Plaza hosted the 2020 Independent Spirit Awards on Saturday and, in fact, her opening was stuffed with jokes that poked enjoyable at not solely attendees however greater points plaguing the world.
Plaza began her internet hosting gig with a skit that confirmed her within the dressing room, having a meltdown earlier than the beginning of the awards present. Judy Garland (additionally performed by Plaza) immediately appeared, giving her recommendation in typical Garland trend.
“Scorsese is doing films for Netflix, Sandler is doing dramas!” Plaza’s Garland stated, poking enjoyable on the state of unbiased movie.
Then, after a short make-out session with Garland, Plaza went on stage to sing a rendition of Garland’s “Get Happy,” earlier than she referred to as out particular person attendees like Jennifer Lopez, Adam Sandler, Idina Menzel and Renée Zellweger.
Later, Plaza and Michael Shannon parodied “The Lighthouse,” which starred Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson. In the skit, the duo performed lighthouse keepers who simply don’t get alongside, and when Plaza sees Shannon writing one thing in his log and asks him what he’s writing, Shannon tells her, “Nautical things.” She grabs the log and sees that he clearly didn’t like her opening monologue — and he particularly didn’t like that she referred to as out Shia LaBeouf and his profession in her opening. Seagull and farting jokes had been aplenty.
See Plaza’s finest jokes under.
1. Garland advised Plaza earlier than she went on stage: “Do something they’ll enjoy, not your spooky ‘Sabrina the Teenage B—-‘ thing!”
2. “What do we have to be happy about? Look at all the disasters we have to deal with: pollution, trash in the ocean, ‘Cats’ in theaters! Meow!”
3. “Some of you came from other neighborhoods in Los Angeles for this!”
4. “Willem Dafoe, I love you and I’m so glad that after years of looking like a 19th-century lighthouse keeper, you finally got to play one!”
5. “The guy who runs Netflix is here, Ted Sarandos! Sorry, Ted, but I am going to scroll right past you and find more interesting people to talk about. No offense, but you started it!”
6. “Jennifer Lopez is right here. You simply carried out on the Super Bowl final weekend. What did you do, Mary Kay Place? You lazy sack of s—! Just kidding, you’re a nationwide treasure. Nicolas Cage, you’re a nationwide treasure, too! Sorry, I stated that improper — you had been in ‘National Treasure 2.’”
7. “I’m hosting the second most important show of the weekend. The Independent Spirit Awards are so much cooler than the Oscars: it’s the daytime when we’re at the beach, we recognize female directors — all two of them! I am so proud of how diverse this show is. JLo and I are super hot Puerto Ricans! I mention that because Puerto Rico is kind of like an independent film: beautiful, not enough people have seen it and its financing is always falling through.”
8. “Today isn’t about Scarlett Johansson being with men who don’t deserve her. It’s about independent film!”
9. “I won’t sing again. I might pole dance only to show JLo how it’s done.”
10. “Next, we celebrate the success of ‘Honeyland,’ by releasing 100,000 bees into the tent! NO!!!!”
11. “Our next presenter is Hollywood royalty and a legend in independent film — I wanna scream like an unhinged maniac but that’s more his thing — Nicolas Cage, everyone!”
12. “And here to present the Best Feature… ugh. It’s always weird to see your ex in public. The producer and star of ‘The Irishman,’ Robert De Niro!”
Why TCM Is Showing Problematic Films Like ‘Gone With the
Why Delroy Lindo’s ‘Da 5 Bloods’ Soliloquy Differs From His
Jonathan Majors to Star as War Veteran in PTSD Drama ‘892’
‘Borat 2’ Had to Make Up COVID Safety Rules
Jodie Comer in Talks to Join Ridley Scott’s Napoleon Movie
‘Sabaya’ Director Says Syria Shoot So Dangerous He Did It So
29 Sundance Portraits, From Robin Wright to Vanessa Kirby
Oscar Short Entries Who Took On Racist Cops, Rape Culture
‘A Glitch within the Matrix’ Director on Why Questioning Reality
10 Essential Sidney Poitier Movies, From ‘Blackboard Jungle’
Celebrities6 years ago
Chantel Jeffries In A Thong Bikini At The Beach In Miami
Movies News5 years ago
Aubrey O'Day Reveals Pauly D Has His Penis Pierced: ''We've Been Having Rea…
Celebrities4 years ago
TV Query: Can ‘Lucifer’s’ Tom Ellis play the piano in real life?
Celebrities5 years ago
‘Are You the One?’ cast can win using basic logic: Season 4’s perfect matches are …