“Frankly, it’s been a bad year,” Magnolia Pictures President Eamonn Bowles says
At least 4 of the buzziest movies at 2019’s Sundance Film Festival had been acquired for wherever between $13 million and $15 million. That’s a hefty pricetag for a crop of movies that at most hope to do modest enterprise on the indie field workplace.
Two of these, Amazon Studios’ “Late Night” and Warner Bros.’ “Blinded by the Light,” have hit already theaters, underperforming to expectations primarily based on their pageant value tags and the dialog that adopted them out of Park City.
Warner Bros.’s New Line banner launched its $15 million Bruce Springsteen-inspired Sundance acquisition “Blinded by the Light” from director Gurinder Chadha huge in theaters on August 16. The movie grossed simply $4.three million in its opening weekend and was deemed a disappointment.
Those less-than-stellar performances put upcoming Amazon’s two upcoming Sundance acquisitions — “Brittany Runs a Marathon,” which comes out this weekend, and subsequent month’s “The Report” — underneath a magnifying glass.
“Frankly, it’s been a bad year,” Magnolia Pictures President Eamonn Bowles…
For Only $1/Day Members Access:
- 5 unique members-only tales every week
- Digital Video business evaluation and deep-dive options
- Daily WrapPRO publication overlaying the most recent digital video business information
- Access to full size Members-Only Video archive
- Video of notable classes from TheWrap Events (TheGrill, Power Women Summit)
- VIP seating for TheWrap’s Screening Series with stars and filmmakers
- Access to ‘chill spots’ at choose business occasions Sundance, TIFF, Newfronts and extra
- Access to unique invite-only occasions
- DataBank showcasing key stats and streaming video tendencies within the OTT market
- In-depth leisure business analysis and whitepapers
32 Great Movies That Received Zero Oscar Nominations
Scott Rudin Also ‘Stepping Back’ From Film and Streaming
Scott Rudin No Longer Involved With 5 Films Set at A24
‘Mank’ Wins Top Film Prize at American Society of
‘Harry Potter’ Alum Jason Isaacs Remembers Helen McCrory
CAA Lit Agent Jay Baker Apologizes for Comparing Black
‘Logan’ Director James Mangold to Boycott Georgia After
Forest Whitaker to Co-Star With Tom Hardy in Action Film
New Jersey Governor Hopes to Lure Movie Business From
‘Godzilla vs. Kong’ Explodes to $121.8 Million Opening at
Celebrities6 years ago
Chantel Jeffries In A Thong Bikini At The Beach In Miami
Movies News5 years ago
Aubrey O'Day Reveals Pauly D Has His Penis Pierced: ''We've Been Having Rea…
Celebrities5 years ago
TV Query: Can ‘Lucifer’s’ Tom Ellis play the piano in real life?
Celebrities5 years ago
‘Are You the One?’ cast can win using basic logic: Season 4’s perfect matches are …